BlogGlue

Greetings!

Here are a few of my favorite things: Nintendo, Penny Arcade, The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Fallout, Dungeons and Dragons, books, dice, Professor Layton, Shadow of the Colossus, Minecraft, and so much more. I'm going to talk a lot about video games, I sincerely hope you don't mind.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Horrible Photoshop favorites

Film grain, lens flare and satin/embossed shapes. I was a thing to behold.

My first experiences with Photoshop occurred when I was a sophomore or junior in high school. The computers had copies of good ol' Photoshop 7, and boy did I love to mess around.

I didn't start using the program for photo editing until after high school graduation, so everything I did was pure playing around and exploring the menu options.

With no real structure, instructions or even an artistic direction to go in, I began a serious love affair with some intensely cheesy filters and FXes. My specialty can be seen above, and I assure you that the meme face is exactly how I felt about each creation.

For this post I had to hop into Photoshop and bust out a new piece: any old ones have been lost to old hard drives and computer changes. It's funny how I used to spend hours making those embossed blobs, and what is seen here took me all of fifteen (embarrassing) minutes.

I know I definitely was.

Letter embossing is pretty similar to the blobs up above, but I really wanted to have a second silly image for you all today. The more settings I tweaked with, the more atrocious the letters became. I'm sure that the feature has a practical application somewhere in this world, but I have certainly never found it.

For now, it'll live in infamy like comic sans (in my mind anyway), and whenever I see it I will continue to think, "Why would they do that?!"

-MJ

6 comments:

i. love. this.

and embossing.

Haha, you want to see what I got into?

http://imgur.com/h3rj2

I made a set of Photoshop actions that let you generate planets, starfields, galaxies, etc. Some of the effects I used look pretty embarrassing by today's standards, but I was proud back then :)

I see some good lens flare going on there!

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing! XD

I was at least happy with the starfields - random black and white noise, Gaussian blur, then altering the levels, if I remember rightly.

Gaussian blur has found a real use in my life, which is funny considering how I used to use the blur feature for pure Photoshop evil.

I want to see a good application of embossing, dammit!

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Stumbleupon Favorites More