BlogGlue

Greetings!

Here are a few of my favorite things: Nintendo, Penny Arcade, The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Fallout, Dungeons and Dragons, books, dice, Professor Layton, Shadow of the Colossus, Minecraft, and so much more. I'm going to talk a lot about video games, I sincerely hope you don't mind.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Books that I should have read long ago - A Wrinkle in Time

a wrinkle in time
Funny enough, my book cover didn't look like any of these. [source]

'A Wrinkle in Time' is probably the strangest book I've ever read (as well as one that is commonly banned). That's a bold proclamation, but I feel that it's true. I was consistently perplexed and lost through the entire thing; well, really until the last two chapters.

Is that bad? It's supposed to be a children's novel; It was just so fantastical and out there that my mind was constantly boggled. None of the characters felt particularly believable to me, either. That didn't really mattered though, because I greatly enjoyed the book. Toward the end I was reading so rapidly that I was in danger of skipping over entire lines, I was just so anxious to know what was going to happen.

A few years ago I took the time to get my hands on some novels that are staples of high school literature, but that I had somehow managed to miss: 'Catcher in the Rye', 'The Great Gatsby', and 'Wuthering Heights'. 'Animal Farm' and 'Catch-22' are still on my list. That was the start of my "books that I should have read long ago" crusade.

the giver
I hadn't heard of 'The Giver' until a friend lent it to me over a year ago.
It is a beautiful book, and is commonly banned in middle schools.

I really enjoy taking the time to catch up on things, and I aim to do so with no shame; people are simply late to the game sometimes! Because of the similarity in name, while reading 'A Wrinkle in Time', I was reminded that I have yet to read 'Rip Van Winkle' as well! The list continues to grow.

Does anyone have an absolute staple that they want to make sure I have read/will read? I've been told many times that I should read Fahrenheit 451. It's on my list!

-MJ

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Stumbleupon Favorites More