BlogGlue

Greetings!

Here are a few of my favorite things: Nintendo, Penny Arcade, The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Fallout, Dungeons and Dragons, books, dice, Professor Layton, Shadow of the Colossus, Minecraft, and so much more. I'm going to talk a lot about video games, I sincerely hope you don't mind.

Thursday, March 22, 2012

WonderCon 2012 - The panels.(Lots of videos in here!)

It's probably difficult not to smile while on stage with such awesome people.

WonderCon had many smaller panel topics that pandered to my exact needs; effectively using creative time, successful women in the geek industry, seeing your drawings through to toy manufacturing, and more. I sat through these in rapt attention, soaking up what useful information I could and willing myself to feel inspired and motivated. It honestly helped to hear the same thing multiple times in a variety of ways, and the panels delivered on that front.


On the flip side there were a multitude of panels focusing on summer blockbuster titles such as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Snow White and the Huntsmen, Amazing Spider-man, Prometheus and a bunch more. There was also an event called Trailer Park, where a half an hour block was filled with new/recent movie trailers for this year.

This is where the exciting stuff happened.


Author Seth Grahame-Smith, director Timur Bekmambetov, and star Benjamin Walker
for the Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter panel. Walker has such a macho way of sitting.
 I like it.


Enjoy this video of Grahame-Smith talking about his inspiration for the book.

I knew that I wanted to see the Trailer Park, and I wanted to attend the Prometheus/Abraham Lincoln panel too. Seeing as they were both in the ballroom and close in time to one another, I figured I'd show up for the first and stay for the second. Turns out there was a panel in between those two for a movie called 'Sound of My Voice', which was at Sundance last year.

Writer/director Zal Batmanglij and writer/star Brit Marling fill in the
audience on their intriguing film, as well as field audience questions.

I ended up in a seat relatively close to the front and sandwiched between two total strangers. As the lights dimmed again I began to look through the program book to find out what was going to be happening. There was no description though. Puzzled, I simply hoped it wouldn't be boring.

It turned out to be highly fascinating. A woman came out and introduced the film and said we'd be watching the first twelve minutes of it. What followed was something strange, moody, creepy, mysterious and intriguing. Go watch it. I'll wait. Afterward the female lead/writer and her co-writer came onto the stage to talk about the production and field questions. It comes out next month, I'm hoping at a theatre near me!

 Batmanglij and Marling demonstrating the secret handshake in the film.

There was intense energy in the room as the lights reset and the giant projector screens became emblazoned with the word 'Prometheus'. People clapped and cheered, and then Damon Lindelof and Ridley Scott took the stage. I'm pretty sure a few audience members peed themselves. The men took their seats and chatted about the film, commenting on it not being a prequel to Alien but having similar DNA, as it were. Then they jazzed everyone up by introducing the newest trailer for our viewing pleasure.

The official two and a half minute trailer was so intense. I was jittery and freaked out. Toward the end I swear my heart was beating too fast and I was too aware of being alone with a bunch of strangers with no one to turn to and say, 'I'm scared!' And then it was over, which was a relief.

This is going to be mind blowing on the big screen.

Then they brought out Charlize Theron and it was my turn to pee my pants. She is so awesome! Such an intense and amazing actress. It was a total shock and such an honor to see her in person. Michael Fassbender was there too with his jaunty accent and pleasant smile. The whole audience was thrown for a loop.

I have my own video footage of Damon Lindelof, Ridley Scott, Charlize Theron 
and Michael Fassbender. How awesome is that!?

The rest of my weekend included the Geek & Sundry panel, as well as the Nerdist panel. I wash hoping to attend the Amazing Spider-man presentation and see Emma Stone, but there was a huge line to get into the already packed ballroom, so that wasn't going to happen. I had also wanted to see the Community panel, but I ended up staying in the Expo hall to meet artists instead.

WonderCon 2012 was awesome, and I am hopefully going next year!

-MJ

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Stumbleupon Favorites More