BlogGlue

Greetings!

Here are a few of my favorite things: Nintendo, Penny Arcade, The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Fallout, Dungeons and Dragons, books, dice, Professor Layton, Shadow of the Colossus, Minecraft, and so much more. I'm going to talk a lot about video games, I sincerely hope you don't mind.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Point and click - Putt Putt Goes to the Moon!

All of the excitement with Double Fine's Kickstarter project for a new point and click adventure game has me thinking about my experiences with the genre. I decided to become a backer (my first time backing a Kickstarter project!), and now I am itching to get my hands on a point and click game.

My gaming career has brought me to a few offerings, like Day of the Tentacle and Monkey Island, but by far my most extensive point and click gaming took place via Putt Putt Goes to the Moon.

putt putt goes to the moon screenshot
An extremely adventurous talking car.

Um. Yeah.

Putt Putt was a series of educational games for kids, and my cousin had a copy. I freaking loved this game. It was ridiculously fun, as are all point and click games. You can watch this short play-thru, if you'd like more information.

As of right now, I don't own any. That is so sad. What are the most recent point and click games? Where can I find them? Which ones will play on my Mac? A lot of great, older computer games require emulators to play on current systems, and who uses emulators anymore?

..... >.>

And why doesn't the DS have more point and click games? It seems like the perfect vessel for such a thing. I know Hotel Dusk: Room 215 was pretty much a point and click, and that game was positively amazing. I traded in my copy, something I regret very badly.

hotel dusk room 215 screenshot
The graphics were so unique, and quite pretty.

I really hope that Double Fine starts a gaming revolution and the aisles of game stores flood with point and click games, spilling into the streets and into the eager hands and minds of gamers everywhere!

What was your favorite point and click game?

-MJ

6 comments:

Machinarium is a more recent point-and-click adventure game that's available for Mac. I've also acquired a copy of Full Throttle for my Mac [that I haven't really touched even though it's made by Tim Schafer]. There's also the newer Monkey Island series as well as a couple of touched up original Monkey Island games. You can probably find quite a few more available through Steam.

I'm glad you backed Double Fine via Kickstarter. I did too! $30 tier. Which tier did you pick?

You're right! How could I have forgotten about Machinarium?! Thanks for all of the excellent reminders :)

I did the $15 tier, but I would have liked to do the $30. Oh well. You must be incredibly excited!

You bet your ass I am! October can't come soon enough! Neither can August/September, for that matter. PAX has been on my braaaaain!

And you're welcome for the excellent reminders. :D

A couple more would be the Sam & Max series [both new and old] and Samorost 1 & 2. Samorost is made by the guys [Amanita Design] that did Machinarium. Very strange games, Samorost. Yes, that's an appropriate descriptor.

I haven't heard of Samorost! Now there are too many games to pick from, haha! I am pretty jazzed for PAX as well. Last year was amazing, and I'm hoping that this year they'll have some Wii U stuff because I am very skeptical.

Skepticism over a Nintendo product? Just what's becoming of you, Miranda? :P

Well you can't deny that the Wii U looks... very strange. I trust Nintendo, but they still have to sell me on it!

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Stumbleupon Favorites More