BlogGlue

Greetings!

Here are a few of my favorite things: Nintendo, Penny Arcade, The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Fallout, Dungeons and Dragons, books, dice, Professor Layton, Shadow of the Colossus, Minecraft, and so much more. I'm going to talk a lot about video games, I sincerely hope you don't mind.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Panzer Dragoon Orta - a story of misunderstanding

In another world, in another time, in the age of wonder..

No, sorry, that's 'The Dark Crystal'.

Let me start over.

Thirteen years ago when the current gen of consoles meant the Xbox, PS2 and Gamecube, I owned two of the three. Can you guess which ones? I'll give you a hint: how often have I said favorable things of Microsoft?

For my fifteen birthday I received both a Gamecube and a PS2. That brought all the boys to my yard. Only not. They had their own systems to play.

I was perfectly content without an Xbox, because there wasn't a single game for the console that I was interested in. Their killer apps were Halo and Fable and... they just didn't interest me. Fable does now, but I have never liked Halo. I think I have a video of myself drunkenly screaming about how much I hate the series...

I don't want to say anything too mean about it, so here's a funny picture instead.

Being a gamer with ever expanding interests I made sure to keep an eye out for potential reasons to purchase an Xbox, but they never came. The only game I ever wanted was Panzer Dragoon Orta.

The ads for the game caught my eye from day one and I couldn't get the images of the young girl riding a powerful dragon out of my head. "I love dragons!" I thought to myself, "That game must be so. awesome."

So awesome.

One day (back when I was working at GameStop) a perfect copy came into the store via trade-in. I bit the bullet and purchased it, even though I lacked an Xbox to play it on. I was simply that determined to own the game.

Eventually the Xbox fell steeply in price and so I grabbed one for myself. I popped the game in, aflutter with excitement over interacting with the dragon and discovered... that the game was a rail shooter.

I kind of hate rail shooters. And yes, that includes Starfox. Please don't be mad at me.

But I played it anyway. I played it as much as I could stand. I had waited so long to experience the girl and her dragon that I wasn't about to give up even though I... didn't enjoy the game. ???

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'm not sure why I never bothered to look up what type of game it was; I thought the commercial made it look like an action/adventure game. Damn them!

Why did I think this? I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Eventually I sold both the game and the system. Oh well.

-MJ

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Stumbleupon Favorites More