BlogGlue

Greetings!

Here are a few of my favorite things: Nintendo, Penny Arcade, The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Fallout, Dungeons and Dragons, books, dice, Professor Layton, Shadow of the Colossus, Minecraft, and so much more. I'm going to talk a lot about video games, I sincerely hope you don't mind.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Tattoos of a Gamer

(note: this article originally posted on abitofgeek.blogspot.com in January of 2013. I started a mini series on gamer tattoos, but didn't finish it before taking my hiatus. I've moved the existing entries here and will continue the rest of the series here as well)

Until the age of twenty I constantly swore that I'd never get any tattoos. I insisted there was nothing I liked so much to want it on my body permanently, I couldn't decide where it would go anyway, and there was that crippling, hypothetical paranoia that it would turn out poorly. But bring on age twenty, and my best friend and I started talking about getting Triforce tattoos. We had been friends for so long, and we both loved the Legend of Zelda dearly. After a year of talking, planning, and deciding, we finally went for it. On top of the Triforce having a pleasant and simple design, it has such a wonderful meaning. The symbol for power, wisdom, and courage, and the possessor, if their heart be pure, having the ability to bring the world into a golden age of prosperity.

triforce tattoos Please enjoy this dark, out of focus photo of us showing off our new tattoos.
Silver City Tattoo in Poulsbo, Washington.

Prior to the big day I encountered a fair amount of grief from outsiders regarding my tattoo of choice. They simply couldn't believe that something from a video game was a worthy subject for permanent body art. It was difficult to explain to them what, exactly, the Triforce meant to me. It was more than a game, it was also a symbol of my friendship with Jacki, my childhood, and a representation of good in the world.

People could get onboard with the friendship thing (although some still found that to be a bad idea. "What if you stop being friends?"), but mostly they thought the game-based aspect to be absurd ("What if in twenty years you don't play that game anymore?").

There's no way for me to know what's going to happen, or how I'm going to feel, in twenty years. I can only know how I think and feel now. I love video games so much, they are a huge part of my life, and I've played them since I could hold a controller. I've had my Triforce for over five years now and I don't regret it. It makes me smile, it brings me happiness. I'm reminded of fond memories of playing Ocarina of Time, and of my best friend and everything we've been through together. For my 22nd birthday I acquired a second gaming related tattoo, my beloved Blooper.


mario bros. blooper squid tattoo 
Tattoo by Brandon Stewart at Silver City Tattoo in Poulsbo, Washington.

People didn't question this decision nearly as much as they did for my Triforce. I guess once you have one gaming tattoo, it's not a big deal to get a second. They did wonder why Blooper, though. My answer for that is two fold: 1. Mario is awesome, and 2. I love sea life. I like to joke that it was a thrifty two-in-one tattoo, taking care of the need for a Mario piece and sea life at the same time. Bloopers also happen to be my favorite enemy in the Mario series. And I love this little guy! I don't wear tank tops a lot, so whenever I do I feel pleased knowing that he's behind me staring at everyone that I pass. I also frequently forget that he's there, so sometimes I'll catch him in a mirror and spin around startled to get a better look. People ask me, "What is your tattoo?" to which I reply, "It's a Blooper, the squid enemy from Mario." It elicits strange looks from a fair number of inquirers, but at the very least everyone can agree that he's a cutie.

Check back through the next two weeks, because I'll be showcasing more gamer tattoos from my friends! See their art and hear their stories, and if you have a tattoo and story of your own please feel free to share it here!

-MJ

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Stumbleupon Favorites More