BlogGlue

Greetings!

Here are a few of my favorite things: Nintendo, Penny Arcade, The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Fallout, Dungeons and Dragons, books, dice, Professor Layton, Shadow of the Colossus, Minecraft, and so much more. I'm going to talk a lot about video games, I sincerely hope you don't mind.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Gamer Tattoos: Hyrule Edition

Working at GameStop was really a mixed bag, but we'll talk about the positives right now. Commraderie, for starters! I had many fun conversations with customers regarding my Triforce tattoo, and twice I even encountered other people who also had a Triforce! Both times the other person and I gleefully inspected the work of the other person and then exchanged stories. This has happened to my tattoo buddy as well.

I did have people ask me why a Triforce, but not for reasons of thinking video game tattoos were a bad idea. No, it was because the Triforce is a common tattoo idea, and the askers wondered why I didn't want something more "original".

Perhaps originality isn't my game, because it doesn't bother me that there are so many others out there who possess a similar tattoo. The Legend of Zelda is an incredibly popular sreies, and I am not alone in my love for it. I now personally know a third person with a Triforce tattoo (our own Zach!), although his is more elaborate than mine.

legend of zelda hylian crest tattoo 
Hyrule Crest by Brandon Stewart at Silver City Tattoo in Poulsbo, Washington.


I asked Zach to share a bit about his tattoo with us:

"I had been thinking about getting something Zelda related for a long while. I got my tattoo when I was laid off from work and received a severance package. It was very spur of the moment. I don't regret getting it, but I definitely regret how impulsive it was!

I decided to go with the Royal Crest over the Hylian Crest because I wanted to include the Triforce to represent power, wisdom, and courage. I wanted it in a place where I could see it as a reminder to those traits and how much I love the series. The comments I get are all positive; people like the look of the tattoo whether they know what it means or not. I even had an older (late fifties) woman compare her tattoo with mine, hers being a symbol from Warhammer. Pretty neat bridge to that age gap. Otherwise, there's one jackass at work who constantly makes comments about me having to save the princess because of my tattoo, but it always makes me laugh.

I have since decided to continue up my arm with more Zelda-related items, possibly branching into other nerdy things I enjoy." - Zach

The Legend of Zelda is a special series, and I find it fascinating and telling that both Zach and I considered the value of the Triforce when deciding on our tattoos. Non-gamers may laugh at the thought of video game ink, but no one can really argue against the desire to have power, wisdom, and courage always with them.

-MJ

*header image from sometimesrelevant

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Stumbleupon Favorites More