BlogGlue

Greetings!

Here are a few of my favorite things: Nintendo, Penny Arcade, The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Fallout, Dungeons and Dragons, books, dice, Professor Layton, Shadow of the Colossus, Minecraft, and so much more. I'm going to talk a lot about video games, I sincerely hope you don't mind.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Gamer Tattoos: Hey, Listen!

Today's final entry features a well known, but little loved, character in gaming history: Navi from Ocarina of Time! I find the placement of Jacki's tattoo to be quite adorable, and also very nicely done! Shading techniques within the ink community really do impress me. See how it is defined, yet still has soft lines like Navi does?

Consideringthat fact that so many gamers garner a serious amount of hatred for Navi, it might seem like an unusual choice! But, that just circles back to how important and personal body modification is. An outisder may not understand a decision, perhaps they'll hate it or think it's stupid. But tattoos aren't for other people. Jacki feels differently about Navi, and even feels a connection with the character. In Ocarina of Time, Navi is a helper, a sort of guardian. Annoying she may be, but also full of good intentions!

legend of zelda ocarina of time Navi fairy tattoo 
Navi from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time by Brandon Stewart at Silver City Tattoo in Poulsbo, Washington.

Here's what Jacki has to say:

"Navi is my favorite tattoo I forget that I have. Maybe this is silly, but I'm honestly pleasantly caught off guard when strangers notice her behind my ear and either, A. Gush with admiration and compliments, B. Ask me to explain why there is a turtle/golf ball/angel tattooed on my neck, C. My personal favorite, when I get a knowing smirk or nod of approval. No words necessary.

I can't say I remember exactly why I chose to get her tattooed aside from the obvious Legend of Zelda fandom. I can't even remember when I got it done... I just know it was a birthday present. I'm just gonna say I woke up one day and *finally* I fit in with all of the other Kokiri. I think parts of her character also remind me a little of myself. She means well and she just wants to help. She has a tendency to air on the side of caution and can get a little annoying but ultimately she'll always be there to help guide you if she can.

While many folks hated her incessant nagging, I have no shame in saying I loved hearing her cute little voice shout, "Hey, LISTEN!" At the very least she's an adorable companion :> " - Jacki

This finishes off my mini series focused on the tattoos of gamers! I sincerely hope you've enjoyed what I've presented. If you missed any entries, be sure to go back and check them out: Blooper, Raccoon Suit Mario, Royal Crest, and Edea. If any readers out there have gaming or geek related tattoos, then we'd love to see them!

-MJ

*header image from zelda.wikia

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Stumbleupon Favorites More