BlogGlue

Greetings!

Here are a few of my favorite things: Nintendo, Penny Arcade, The Legend of Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Harvest Moon, Fallout, Dungeons and Dragons, books, dice, Professor Layton, Shadow of the Colossus, Minecraft, and so much more. I'm going to talk a lot about video games, I sincerely hope you don't mind.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Original Sculpt - Sonic Screwdriver Trio

My Whovian friend's birthday is today, and seeing as she's the emphatic soul responsible for my Doctor Who addiction it seemed only proper to give her something heartfelt and sonic for her special day.

Something sonic, and screwdriver-y.

Click to enlarge, and bask in the textures of Ten's Sonic Screwdriver ! Look at that great 
blue swirl. Oh yeah!

Initially I was going to make only Ten's, but once I was finished I was so pleased with the result that I decided to make more!

Click to embiggen! Do it! I was excited to use transparency material to make that weird
tube thingie on the side of River's Sonic Screwdriver.

River's seemed like a good choice since she's connected to both Ten and Eleven, and her design was also a lot more intricate than Ten's. I was both excited and apprehensive to apply some splotch painting techniques to achieve the green that is spread around the gold plates.

But I was finished with it in one evening. I had a square frame to fill. Why not make Eleven's, too?

Make the pictures bigger! It was a real ordeal to decide if Eleven's Sonic Screwdriver should
be opened, or closed. I'm happy with my decision.

To my great surprise, Eleven's was the most complicated to assemble! I went to the craft store and bought extra special shiny paper to replicate the metal shine of his sonic screwdriver. It was worth it!

The final product came together in an 8x8 shadow box frame, presented kind of like butterflies! Does that make sense? Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I was tempted to keep this for myself once all was said and done!


Eight inches by eight inches of papery, Doctor Who glory.

It's off to live in Colorado now. Perhaps if I ask my friend nicely she'll send me photos of its new living quarters!

To finish off the gift, I attempted to make her a card modeled after the invitations in The Impossible Astronaut. I even included her name in Gallifreyan!

Does this circular Gallifreyan word look like a sad frog to anyone else?

Gallifreyan paper cutting is a challenge. I... don't know if I'll be doing it again. Ever.

Does anyone else like these? I'm so proud of them!

-MJ

17 comments:

:D thanks! I'm happy to report that she loved it!

Absolutely incredible! Those look so fabulous, Miranda! Well done :) :) :)

And yes, I see a sad frog, too. :P

Thank you!! She could read it, too! I wish I could for real read/write circular Gallifreyan.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees it!

Amazing. You know Miranda, next September when my birthday comes around, feel free to make me one of these too ;P

At least I have a year to get it started :P

I'm glad you like it! :D

That's brilliant! Do you sell these?

I don't sell them currently, but I hope to in the near future! :D

I want to buy one for my son! When will you start selling this???

Hello anon, and thanks for your interest! I'm hoping to start selling sculpts after the new year. Keep checking back because I'll definitely do an update about it :D

These are so awesome! I would totally put them on a wall in my living room! keep up the good work!

greetings,
http://mlle-opossum.blogspot.de/

Opossum - Thanks for the encouragement! I'm glad you like them!

these are good , I would love this in my room. Did it take long to do this?

this gives me an idea though, to encase actual sonic screwdrivers in a glass box and display them. or encase just one sonicscrewdriver in glass with the words "in case of emergency break glass"

Soldier of Moroni - Thank you :) I'd say the three combined took me about 15 hours. Roughly five hours per screwdriver. I really like your idea!!

hello my name is vanessa
my friend rick is IN LOVE with Doctor Who and i was wondering if you were selling these yet?

Vanessa - I was out of the paper sculpting game for a while because I was moving, but I'm back in the swing of things now! I'm making a few pieces to get back into practice but I hope to be selling things soon! You can keep up with my activities at abitofgeek.net, or via twitter/facebook under 'abitofgeek'. There will definitely be an announcement when I'm ready to sell :)

Post a Comment

Twitter Facebook Stumbleupon Favorites More